The Julian Historical Society was incorporated in 1963, when local historians got together to preserve Julian's past for future generations. Over the past 50 plus years much has been done toward their original goal. They began by purchasing the Washington mine. The Washington mine was the first hard rock mine to produce gold in Julian. The open air viewing museum constructed in the early 1960's, where the founders built it, is at the mine site, along with tools and artifacts they collected to tell the story of mining in Julian. (Tour by appointment only.)
With the open air museum project behind them, they went on to document in words, photographs, and with the help of learned speakers, Julian's past and present history. When a one room school building was scheduled for demolition they went to work raising fund and soliciting volunteers to save the building. The Santa Ysabel School at Witch Creek was soon moved 10 miles up into the mountains and placed in its current location on Fourth Street in Julian. The county of San Diego made a place for the building in Pioneer Park, and after renovations, it became Julian's second public library. This treasured building was vacated when a larger library was built and now it is the home of the Julian Historical Society.
After successfully moving a building and seeing it restored, the members of the Historical Society decided to restore a vehicle. This was no ordinary vehicle. It is a 1912 Mack "Stage". Found in the desert in rusty pieces; all lovely collected. The stage was restored to its original beauty and is now on display for everyone to enjoy. Of course, the stage could not be parked out in the weather, so while it was being restored, a garage was built. The Stageline Garage was built in Pioneer Park and is now home to the Mack Stage and another vehicle that carried passengers to Julian in the 1900's, a 1924 Cadillac bus. The Historical Society, with the help of volunteers at the Campo Transport Museum, restored both vehicles over many years of dedicated volunteer labor.
The Witch Creek School building, the Stageline garage, the restored vehicles, and many other artifacts may be seen by visiting Pioneer Park, 2133 Fourth Street, Julian, CA. 92036. Our mailing address is: P.O. Box 513, Julian, CA 92036 and our telephone number is 760-765-0436.
The Historical Society Museums are open to the public the third Saturday of the month. from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm.