Julian Historical Society
Menu
Julian Historical Society Newsletter
August 2026
Pine Hills Lodge
Pine Hills Lodge has a rich history dating back to its construction in 1912. Originally built as a private retreat for boxing legend Jack Dempsey, the lodge served as a training ground for his famous comeback fight against Gene Tunney. Architectural Significance The lodge is noted for its original architecture, which reflects early 20th-century craftsmanship. It blends rustic charm with historical significance, making it a notable landmark in Julian, California. Jack Dempsey, known as the "Manassa Mauler," was the world heavyweight boxing champion from 1919-26. Classic Rotors Museum - Ramona CA Classic Rotors Museum in Ramona, California, is dedicated to preserving historic helicopters and rotorcraft. Located at the Ramona Airport, it features the world's largest collection of vintage helicopters, showcasing various designs and technologies in rotorcraft development. The museum operates as a non-profit organization, relying on volunteer support and donations to maintain its collection and educational programs
After building and learning to fly his own helicopter, Mark DiCiero founded Classic Rotors in 1992. With the support of many volunteers and donations, Classic Rotors now has over 45 rotorcraft and attends more than a dozen air shows per year. Exhibits and Future Plans
Rotors has additional rotorcraft, including some unique one-of-a-kind and very rare rotorcraft such as the MonteCopter model 15 tri-phibian, the four-place Jovair YH30 (McCulloch MC4 tandem rotor), the Brantly 305, the Sikorsky H03S (used In Korea for rescue), the Ram-Jet powered Hiller Hornet, and the Rotorway 133 Scorpion. As one of only four dedicated rotorcraft museums in the world, and in keeping with their mission to honor the pioneers of rotorcraft design, Classic Rotors plans to acquire and display additional helicopters manufactured by Bell, Hughes, Robinson and others. Additionally, they are planning to utilize a mobile "History of Helicopters" museum for display at air shows. This mobile presentation facility will allow the display of smaller helicopters rarely seen by today’s generation and provide an educational center including interactive demos and historical videos. Classic Rotors participates in local community programs and supports various organizations including the Scouts, Young Eagles, local schools and Community Colleges (A&P programs). They are associated with the Hiller Aviation Museum, Experimental Aircraft Association, Naval Helicopter Association and the Canadian Museum of Flight. |
Notes and Coming Events
Field Trip September 26th Classic Rotors, Ramona CA - The rare and vintage Rotorcraft Museum located at the Ramona Airport. If you are interested in joining this field trip, please contact Rudy Rikansrud at 951-217-7823 or email: [email protected]
We need docents (greeters) at the Witch Creek Schoolhouse and the Stageline barn. The Julian Historical Society buildings will be open to the public every weekend starting Saturday September 5th until Sunday October 11th for Apple Days. Your help would greatly be appreciated. Call Julie 858.254.0584 Bailey's on Palomar Mountain
Theodore and Mary Bailey were some of the last of the western pioneers. Married in 1868 they traveled by covered wagon (kids and all) from Kentucky to San Diego County, settling in Mesa Grande below Palomar Mountain around 1884. Trained as a surveyor, Theodore soon found work with the regional U.S. Geologic Survey group. In this capacity he traveled extensively through the undeveloped areas of San Diego County.
It was while setting survey markers on Palomar Mountain that he came upon a beautiful little valley just over the summit. It reminded him of his native Kentucky, with its cool dark forests and rich grassy flats. The valley was host to a series of clear artesian springs that still produce some of the best water to be found anywhere. He quickly filed a homestead claim for the valley and moved his young family up the mountain in the fall of 1887. Using mostly the resources around them, the family quickly built a log cabin and prepared for the winter to come. And it turned out to be quite a winter. They nearly had their shake roof cave in on them as the snowfall topped 60 inches. More than once the boys spent the entire night shoveling the falling snow off the little cabin’s roof. The following spring of 1888 Theodore, Mary and their five young children were hard at work building the new family ranch house across the valley from their log cabin. With the help of the local Native Americans, they dug clay from natural deposits near the building site. This material was formed into adobe bricks which were used to construct the single-story home. The three vacated clay pits were then lined with rock. Quickly filled with water, these covered wells served the household for many years. Almost as soon as their home was constructed, Theodore assumed the role of postmaster for the mountain. It was during this time that folks traveling up the steep mountain grade on horseback would stop by the Bailey place and often be invited to stay over for a few days. Even in those early years, the Bailey place became a welcome rest stop for travelers in the back country. Theodore was known for his hospitality just as Mary Bailey was becoming famous for her baked goods. Traveling 60 miles by wagon to the County Fair each year, her Palomar Rhubarb pie took the 1st place award in 1899. Theodore, Mary and family eventually built up the place to a first rate back country resort destination. By the 1920s Bailey’s Palomar Resort had taken shape. In addition to Campo Contento – the original automobile camp- the resort now boasted furnished tents on wood decks and small cabins. The original adobe homestead was enlarged to three stories and called the Palomar Mountain Hotel. The township of Palomar Mountain was now at The Bailey Place. Visitors could find Bailey’s General Store and Soda Fountain, the Palomar Post Office, a hand crank gas station and the Dance Hall building (these are all still alive and well at the resort over 80 years later). For activities, the discerning resort guest could choose from lawn-tennis, an eighteen-hole golf course (with nine holes out and nine holes back) horseback riding, hiking, shuffle board, or a dip in the swimming hole. Having then worked up an appetite, guests could partake of hardy back country meals at the resort restaurant. Fresh meats were kept on ice, home grown produce graced each plate, which was then topped off with fresh baked breads and pastries. As the sun set, the resort would begin to glow under soft electric lights (provided by a gasoline powered generator system). Guests would then attend the event of the evening – a Country Dance (with live music) or hay-ride and bonfire. |
Proudly powered by Weebly

